Monday, February 11, 2013

Goodbye For Now, Grandma.

My sweet Grandma Weathersby passed away a week ago on Sunday. As I was looking through pictures of her life, it made me ache for my childhood again. Memories of going to their cabin in Forest Lakes, eating her delicious food, taking naps in their hammock, going on late night drives calling for Elk with her and Grandpa, staying up late playing games with the whole family and picking fresh watercress down by the stream and eating it in sandwiches for lunch. She was a fun grandma. Always had yummy treats in her house (literally every nook and cranny was filled with treats... it was awesome!) I remember her taking me to see The Little Mermaid when I was a little girl and she taught me how to crack open sunflower seeds in the car on the way there. I was probably four years old but I remember it all so perfectly. I kept leaning over to her and saying "Grandma, you're going to LOVE this movie." It wasn't my first time, but she always reminded me of our fun date to the movies for years afterwards. One night, she slept in my bed when I was probably 10 or 11, and I remember cuddling her and talking till really late. The room was quiet and we were finally dozing off when she said, "I hope you always remember this special night with your grandma." And I reassured her I would never forget it. I felt so happy, at peace and safe in her warm embrace. That night will always be one of my favorite memories with her.

When my dear grandpa passed away almost eleven years ago, my grandma stayed with my parents and lived in their guest house. My mom and her had a special bond and I know she was so grateful to have such a wonderful, caring, selfless woman take care of her until the end of her life. Grandma had dementia for the last several years of her life. She did a lot of pretty funny things the last few years due to her memory loss. 

I had the opportunity to "doll her up" one last time for her funeral service. She always loved having her hair, make-up and nails done. Aunt Cindy did her hair, I did her make-up and Brianne painted her nails. I would say she looked like "fancy Jane" (that's what grandpa use to call her) by the end. Just what she would have wanted. :)

I am so grateful to have so many sweet memories with her and will miss her infectious smile and giggle. But I am really glad that she is finally reunited with her sweetheart on the other side, pain free, worry free and in a much better place. I know she is smiling down from heaven and watching over us, while holding hands with grandpa.

On the back of this picture, my grandpa wrote "Sexy Jane. She had the initials of someone she was sweet on written on her legs." Too funny! I bet she got a nice tan with the letters E.H. on her legs!


Grandma was a bus driver for special needs children for many years. 
 I know she is enjoying her time with her sweetheart on the other side. So glad they are finally reunited.         I love you Clarrisa Jane. Till we meet again. :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this post about your beautiful grandma made me cry. I am so sorry for your loss, and I am happy that you have so many wonderful memories to recall when you are missing her. I got to paint my grandmas nails one last time also. Grandparents are the best, and it is so hard to lose them. You're grandma was beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Brianna. I'm so glad you got to paint your grandmothers nails one last time as well. Grandparents really are special. All of mine are now gone and it's kind of sad. I don't like the whole "getting old thing"... not gonna lie. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry about Grandma Weathersby, she was an amazing lady! She always made everyone feel so loved and appeciated! I'm so happy that she's back with your Grandpa and in no more pain!
    And I also hate this getting old thing, where is the time going????

    ReplyDelete