Friday, February 11, 2011

Mother of The Year

I was lucky enough to go to lunch today at Joe's Farm Grill with some of my good friends that I haven't seen in forever! It was fun to just sit outside and enjoy the weather and talk about motherhood and life! Kind of crazy we all have kids of our own now. :) 
Doesn't he look like a stud in his new sunglasses?
I had an interesting experience towards the end of our lunch however. Parker was running around and playing with all the other kids when I noticed he started to walk into the courtyard (which is close to the parking lot.) My friend Katie and I were both after him within seconds to go retrieve him when this grumpy old man runs (and I'm not exaggerating) past us, while holding his grandson, and starts screaming at us. I thought something was seriously wrong with this man and there was some kind of crisis that I could not see. He then looked at me and said, and I quote, "Is somebody going to get this child?! There's five of you just standing there not doing anything and he's all the way over here!!!!" I looked at him (in shock that he was being so ridiculous) and told him to "Mind his own business. I've got it under control. Thank you!" He just glared at me while walking back to his table and yelled out "MOTHER OF THE YEAR!!!"(while swearing at me, in front of all of the other children!) I walked back to my table... no I waddled back to my table (being 8 1/2 months pregnant you know) and started to cry because I couldn't believe what just happened. Now I know being pregnant can make me ultra-sensitive at times, but come on-- that was uncalled for! My friends were so upset with him too, they all just glared at him. 
 The best part, was when my other friend Katie walked over in his direction to go get Parker from getting near him again and yelled "Come here, you don't want to go by that mean, old man! He doesn't get the grandfather of the year award thats for sure!" :) It was awesome. He told her to not make him feel bad and then yelled out, "And these are the moms that are raising children today!!" And he threw his arms up in the air. Now I know I'm not perfect, but I think I do a pretty darn good job at raising my child! Thanks sir, for telling me how to parent. You sure made my day! I could not look at the man without my blood boiling. But now, I can laugh about it. I think his son was pretending he didn't know him, because he was embarrassed for him!

At least I got "The Mother of The Year Award!"... I feel so honored. :)

6 comments:

  1. YOU ARE MOTHER OF THE YEAR! Grumpy old man can just be VERY VERY happy that I your VERY protective sister & aunt to that adorable (& fast) little boy! I would have ripped him a new one!!! Seriously yelling at my 8 1/2 month pregnant sister! Grumpy old my YOU should be ashamed! Love you Erin & Parker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that! Don't even listen to him. You are an awesome mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a great mom! Some people live their lives and try to live other peoples lives too! The difference between the way you mother and the way he mothers, is that you do it full time and he does it for half an hour and thinks he knows everything! Let him give it a whirl for a few days and he'd be beggin' your pardon for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a D of an old man. From my experience, old men are ranked into two categories. 1) Super optimistic, nice, humorous, and fun to be around even if they can't hear you. 2)Angry about the life they should have lived but didn't and make everyone else around them hear about it all day long. I'm sorry you had to experience the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If any of you are interested to know, my friend Katie went back to the grumpy old man to talk about how uncalled for it was to talk to me like that... and his son (who I thought was embarrassed) said that "he SHOULD have been hit by a car!" What a low, evil, jerky thing to say. I could seriously hurt him. UUgggghhhh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh pah-lease! Don't you hate it when crabby, old people give their unsolicited, unwarranted opinions! As if we don't already beat ourselves up enough as it is as mothers. The last thing we need is someone else chiming in on how they feel we parent. I once had an old, crabby lady tell me how I was ruining Carter's eyesight by taking him on a walk around the block while the sun was shining (with the stroller canopy out, mind you). It's almost comical, isn't it?! :) It's like, what exactly is it that makes you lose complete ability to mind your own freakin' business?! Don't even worry, you're a great mom and we all do the best we can.

    ReplyDelete